AC Tractor – is it a good product idea?: Last week while reading the Economic Times (ET) a news attracted my attention. News was about the launch of Heavy Duty AC Tractors by Sonalika. By spending some time on Google search, I found that market leader Mahindra too manufactures Air-conditioned tractor and exports them in the markets like United States and Tunisia etc; but they have yet not offered them in India.
Tractors are used in agriculture/ farming and also other field work too. So there can be two main classifications in Tractor prodcut category Farming and Non-Farming. While seeing product offerings of tractor manufacturers its obvious that even tractor manufactures don’t see much potential of Air Conditioned or AC tractors are focusing on other product offerings.
Many will say that with sharp rise in land prices and multi fold increase in the incomes of the farmers, the product idea of Air Conditioned Tractors for farming/ agriculture is a great product idea. But is AC Farming Tractor is really a good product idea which can change the market dynamics? I guess not.
There may be many reason which I think goes against the idea of AC Farming Tractors.
1. The idea of comfort is against the very existence of a farmer who always seen as hard working person.
2. Of course AC tractors will cost more and may not be affordable.
3. Rich farmers who has the affordability of such tractors are no more plowing or seeding their fields. The job is done by the hired operators.
4. Its AC but ride will remain bumpy and uncomfortable while a farmer is at work.
5. Usually farmers work start working early in the morning, evening or even at night.
6. Number of days where in AC tractor will be of utility to farmer are very less.
Some great product ideas of current time are: (a) No electricity water purifiers (b) Luxury Trucks (c) Low cost airlines etc.